A footpath has been ploughed up/has crops growing out of it making it difficult to use – what can I do about it?

The duty to reinstate public rights of way after ploughing/cropping rests with the landowner/farmer. This must be done within 24 hours or 2 weeks depending on if it’s the first disturbance of the season. You should report these cases to rights of way team at the highway authority (county council or unitary) whose duty it is to maintain rights of way and keep them free from obstructions.

Was this article helpful?
1 out of 2 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.
Powered by Zendesk